Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Bugging in or bugging out? (permanent or itinerant)
04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Bugging in or bugging out? (permanent or itinerant)
I am planning for 'bugging in' though prepped for other options

For me, I have been solo most of my life. Even though I belong to a couple of local preppers group I still consider myself solo to some degree, as Im getting older and developing trust with some of the local folks I am starting to re-evaluate.

Many pro's and con's in regarding this decision I believe vital resources (water food and fortified structures) will play a significant part in our decision to stay or 'nomad' It is imperative to network, we need to know the people within the network before SHTF - trust is the most significant part of any networked groups, we must evaluate the psych of the group, if the psych is confrontational in ideology Vs surviving and being evasive then think long and hard before joining such a group, we must be willing to defend our ground and be prepared for such a situation but NOT go looking for trouble or be caught in the open in a indefensible position. Geographics and Situation will be the deciding factor not wants or plans!

an o'l saying for the never ending loop 'plan for what you haven't planned for'

Itinerant movement must be calculated with in-depth knowledge of the geographic's and Tactical Terrain Utilization and logistics otherwise one is a setting duck, logistics being the key to any movement!

There is more I can touch on though I would like to hear from you

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: Bugging in or bugging out? (permanent or itinerant)
As it stands now, I'd be bugging in - if only for the fact the my other half wouldn't leave.

Dodgy

However, if it came to it - I'm attempting to prepare myself and my son to leave, if we had to. I don't think we'd survive super long on own though, so ultimately - I'd be depending on my previous networking and whatever skills I have happened to master by the time SHTF.

We currently take several walks, runs, hikes and bike rides a week, and while my son sees this as quality time with mom, my ulterior motive is that my son is physically able and used to strenuous activity well above what your average four year old is capable of handling. Also, while we are out, I try to point out things that we could eat or use for other purposes. We play games to try to make as little noise as possible while hiking, and I've given him his own little bug out bag to get him used to carrying some weight. I am hoping that this summer, after he turns five - that we'll get to spend a few weeks camping at my grandparent's acreage up in Michigan.

This is of course, assuming that we have a quick-type of disaster SHTF scenario - where I wouldn't be able to take our vehicle to bug out. If it were something I could see coming with some form of certainty, I might attempt to bug out up North. Though, I see that being far less feasible then bugging in.

lynn.hitchens@gmail.com, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
04-14-2013, 01:58 PM
(04-14-2013 12:50 PM)lynn.hitchens@gmail.com Wrote:  As it stands now, I'd be bugging in - if only for the fact the my other half wouldn't leave.

If or when SHTF your other half without doubt would rely on your knowledge and skills and that alone should bring some comfort to you and kudos for involving your Son.

I met my Wife when I was a tracker for Washington State (coyotes) Lisa was agoraphobic at the time, yes very challenging then... talking about bad things didn't go over all that will at first.

04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
@Maverick - we had family with both agoraphobia and panic attacks so know how debilitating that can be for the rest of family as well. Kudos to you for understanding!
@Lynn - we are at a stage where we would be hard pressed to leave also because of extended family. I cannot imagine husband leaving sons, grandchildren or even my elderly parents so we will probably bug in and prepare for that. Naturally if it became such that we all had to go, we would find a way to caravan out together!
It is nice though to be building these types of networks where even though we are spaced around the county, we could still conceivably network together to help each other as we could!
For now it is good to share skills and knowledge - later it may mean those skills and knowledge help each other to survive. We can probably all manage to get to one another in a day or two long walk if need be - or perhaps via other means (bikes, boats, trucks). So all will not be lost.
Preparing to bug in means having some form of self sustaining food and water sources in place. That is why we are working on our rabbits and chickens. We aren't allowed a rooster so that does frustrate me a bit but there are some farms close enough that have roosters that we would try to barter for one or two!We have also considered hatching eggs and then culling for meat any young roosters about the time they want to crow. Obviously our garden and supply of seeds are another means of bugging in successfully. Our biggest challenge is water - we want to eventually have a deep well but we live close enough to some water sources that our sons claim they can haul water daily if need be! Fortunately Florida is humid enough that there are ways to deal with other means of having water.
Our biggest issues I think to successful bugging in here in Florida would be the zombie issues -- as in riots, civil unrest that makes it out of the more economically challenged areas to here -- or if there were terrorist situations such as nuclear ones. Those are pretty much not defensible ones for average folks unless one decides to be armed for WWIII - not something I would want to contemplate! But whatever happens, our family will meet it head on here at home the best we can along with lots of prayer for both ourselves and friends!

valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping Sip of Sustainability and Me
05-01-2013, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 08:51 AM by Scotty-T.)
From a purely military history perspective, remember that a fortress is nothing more than a fancy coffin.

If at all possible the best scenario for longevity is one of constant movement and evasive tactics. In the modern family context, where as mentioned above, this may not be an optimal solution. There are hard choices to be made. Depending on the level of the threat of course. Everyone will have to make their own hard choices, and with that in mind there is little room to down play others choices made. Advanced discussion and planning is the order of the day today because when the time comes there will be no time for making decisions, only time to follow the plan, and that plan must be somewhat flexible to be successful.

Flexibility is as important as is having a plan at all.

"The measure of a man can be taken by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"
05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
(04-14-2013 04:54 PM)valentinoswife Wrote:  @Maverick - we had family with both agoraphobia and panic attacks so know how debilitating that can be for the rest of family as well. Kudos to you for understanding!

It wasn't easy, took a good part of 5yrs for us to work through it without meds, there's been times I wanted to give up but couldn't do it

05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
(05-01-2013 08:49 AM)Scotty-T Wrote:  In the modern family context... Flexibility is as important as is having a plan at all.

And that is a important factor Scotty, I have spent many years in the Military my Wife hasn't, I'm 12yrs older then my wife my life has been outdoors, my wife grew up in the confinement of the city in the era of 'easy' late 70s - mid 80s we where from different worlds!

05-01-2013, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 10:59 AM by Scotty-T.)
Maverick while some might see your situation as a disadvantage. A wise man would capitalize on each others divergent skills. Two different skill sets are better than only one or two of the same. You may have a real advantage in versatility and flexibility. Especially where you have a generational diversity as well. Capitalize on them. Wink

"The measure of a man can be taken by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
(05-01-2013 10:56 AM)Scotty-T Wrote:  Maverick while some might see your situation as a disadvantage. A wise man would capitalize on each others divergent skills. Two different skill sets are better than only one or two of the same. You may have a real advantage in versatility and flexibility. Especially where you have a generational diversity as well. Capitalize on them. Wink

Thank You Scotty, very true!

05-18-2013, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 06:04 PM by EveryDayPrepper.)
The thing that bothers me about Bugging-In in an urban environment is that one molotov thrown through your window and all of those supplies can go up in flames.

From a survivability standpoint, I think it is best to head to the bush for a couple of weeks and let the majority kill each other off. Obviously, some situations, like a hurricane's aftermath, might not warrant that and you can do a lot of good if you stay.

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Permanent Cure Allergic Infertility. Induce Ovulation Zpack Treat efuzilogk 0 103 09-14-2014 10:18 PM
Last Post: efuzilogk
  For Ed Permanent Remedy - Where Can I Purchase Stendra elogidda 0 81 09-08-2014 01:20 PM
Last Post: elogidda