Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Best Weapon for Prepper/ Concealed Carry
02-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Question Best Weapon for Prepper/ Concealed Carry
Hey Everyone,

A friend and I are trying to come up with the best weapons for both a prepper (Bug Out Bag) type scenario as well as for everyday lawful concealed carry.

I am by no means a gun expert, so we would like your thoughts on the two scenarios.

We are looking for safety, portability, reliability, and effectiveness.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Space Coast Preppers.com
Where the Space Coast Preps!
info@SpaceCoastPreppers.com
[Image: facebookprofile100x72.jpg]
Join Us!
http://www.facebook.com/SpaceCoastPreppers
http://www.twitter.com/SpaceCoastPrep
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
RE: Best Weapon for Prepper/ Concealed Carry
(02-04-2013 09:17 PM)scpadmin Wrote:  Hey Everyone,

A friend and I are trying to come up with the best weapons for both a prepper (Bug Out Bag) type scenario as well as for everyday lawful concealed carry.

I am by no means a gun expert, so we would like your thoughts on the two scenarios.

We are looking for safety, portability, reliability, and effectiveness.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Glock 17, 19, 26 reliable, accurate, durable
Find all posts by this user
02-25-2013, 10:34 PM
(02-25-2013 10:18 PM)Fearless Wrote:  Glock 17, 19, 26 reliable, accurate, durable

Thanks for the info! Care to expand on that a little bit? I have heard these comments before about Glocks. My friend has a 26 I believe and he loves it. But then again I have heard others say they are heavier, and not as much for concealed carry? Any truth to that? I guess I am looking for something small to carry.

Space Coast Preppers.com
Where the Space Coast Preps!
info@SpaceCoastPreppers.com
[Image: facebookprofile100x72.jpg]
Join Us!
http://www.facebook.com/SpaceCoastPreppers
http://www.twitter.com/SpaceCoastPrep
02-26-2013, 07:25 AM
(02-25-2013 10:34 PM)scpadmin Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 10:18 PM)Fearless Wrote:  Glock 17, 19, 26 reliable, accurate, durable

Thanks for the info! Care to expand on that a little bit? I have heard these comments before about Glocks. My friend has a 26 I believe and he loves it. But then again I have heard others say they are heavier, and not as much for concealed carry? Any truth to that? I guess I am looking for something small to carry.

If your looking for something "small" to carry Keltec makes a 380 that fits in the palm of your hand. Has about the same stopping power as a 9mm, the only downfall is the 6 round capacity. Glock, even the compact and subcompact are 10 round capacity; that does not sound like a huge difference but in a fire fight every little bit counts. The ammunition is about the same price; however, the weapon itself will have about a $300 difference in the price tag. Let me know if you need more info or where to purchase.
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
The Kel-Tec Sub-2000 folds up into a backpack. They take either Glock mags or Beretta. Now that there are Glock 50 round drum mags available, the Kel-Tec becomes a serious urban asset. Outfit yours with a quad rail (preferably the Red Lion rotating quad rail, so you can still fold it up) and you can get 300 meter shots with it, as you can see DocTacDad's wife doing in a video. Best thing is that Kel-Tec is in Brevard County.

The Kel-Tec PMR-30 is also a lightweight pistol that can lay down suppressive fire with its 30-round magazines, but the 22 Win Mag ammo is more expensive and much less common than 22 LR in a survival situation.

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
How about a good weapon for someone who cannot rack a slide back on a glock?

I had reconstructive elbow surgery done on my left elbow, and just narrowly missed the same surgery on my right elbow. I just don't have the hand strength currently to do it.

I looking into a shotgun with pistol and chainsaw grip right now, for home defense - but, I def want to purchase a pistol.

lynn.hitchens@gmail.com, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
04-19-2013, 10:07 AM
(04-18-2013 07:44 PM)lynn.hitchens@gmail.com Wrote:  How about a good weapon for someone who cannot rack a slide back on a glock?

I had reconstructive elbow surgery done on my left elbow, and just narrowly missed the same surgery on my right elbow. I just don't have the hand strength currently to do it.

I looking into a shotgun with pistol and chainsaw grip right now, for home defense - but, I def want to purchase a pistol.

Lynn, I am partial to and carry the 1911A1 but my wife has issues racking the slide, she can handle my Ruger 357 GP100 4" brrl but its a tab bit heavy so I got her a Ruger 357 SP101 she loves it and has no problems with it.

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
04-24-2013, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 07:52 AM by Scotty-T.)
The AR7 Is not a very good option for much of anything. However it IS better than nothing. If I was looking for a .22 for the bag, I would look at the Ruger 10-22 Takedown. For a regular long gun in .22 I would chose the Marlin M60 and or a bolt action rifle with a tubular magazine. I would stay away from detachable mags like the plague. These are not go to war guns they are feed yourself guns.

It is hard to beat a shotgun of any variety for home defense. What ever you are comfortable with works.

For CCW, well thats a tougher nut to crack. I, like many, am a fan of the 1911, especially one of the reduced size ones like the Commander or Combat commander. I personally don't think much of anything in .380 or 9mmR but don't like monster guns either. A .38 or .357 wheel gun would be a good choice. Very simple to shoot and the ammo is not on the .gov want list so shortages may be less and reloading is about as basic and simple as it gets.

In general, I would stay far away from fad guns or any gun that is really high demand, or that shoots ammo that is in high demand or fad like as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with used guns in fact in many ways they may be preferable. I take the attitude that it is far more important that you be comfortable and able to hit repeatedly and accurately than it is what you carry or shoot. Wink

"The measure of a man can be taken by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"
04-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah, the Ruger 10/22 Takedown is another good choice.

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
04-29-2013, 08:33 AM
I third the 10/22 take down or not, The armlite ar7 was issued to some of our huey's and marine pilots back in the day, for backpacking it's ok, I find em not as accurate and nowhere as reliable as the 10/22, one of the issue with the ar7 from my military and civilian experience is the ar7 doesn't handle hotter loads such as the stingers very good causing stove piping

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No Generic Temovate; Temovate Ointment Price What Pharmacies Carry exnazowtu 0 158 09-11-2014 01:18 PM
Last Post: exnazowtu
  you may be lucky and get a powerup or weapon upgrade ailpra80qk 0 113 09-05-2014 07:22 AM
Last Post: ailpra80qk
  New Prepper Novella valentinoswife 1 1,173 07-17-2014 09:30 PM
Last Post: sfqhqgmon
  How did you start your Prepper Plan? lynn.hitchens@gmail.com 3 1,359 05-18-2013 06:10 PM
Last Post: EveryDayPrepper