Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Best Weapon for Prepper/ Concealed Carry
04-30-2013, 06:56 AM
RE: Best Weapon for Prepper/ Concealed Carry
I had the same experience with the AR-7. I wonder if Velocitors or Mini-Mags would work better in it. I always assumed it was the sheet-metal feed ramp on the magazine that wasn't sufficient. I only read recently that Stingers require a certain kind of chamber.

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
K-Light Solar Lantern & Flashlight
04-30-2013, 08:49 AM
(04-30-2013 06:56 AM)EveryDayPrepper Wrote:  I had the same experience with the AR-7. I wonder if Velocitors or Mini-Mags would work better in it. I always assumed it was the sheet-metal feed ramp on the magazine that wasn't sufficient. I only read recently that Stingers require a certain kind of chamber.

Standard long rifle was the best in this rifle, my only experience was with the Armlite not the Henry AR7

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
05-01-2013, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 08:23 AM by Scotty-T.)
Remember that just like in the 1911s "most" stove piping issues are cured on the face of the bolt and the obverse side of the extractor claw. not the ramp or chamber. Wink

I have thought for years about how to improve the AR7 other than not buying one. I "think" it might be to build a solid wood stock where the receiver stays in the gun but the barrel can be removed ah-la-10-22Takedown. bed the action really firm in the stock and extend the forearm out a little past the barrel nut but leave it fully floating and relief for turning the nut and removing the barrel. I may add this to one of my things to do list in the next whenever I get to it category.

"The measure of a man can be taken by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"
05-01-2013, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 08:58 AM by Maverick.)
(05-01-2013 08:15 AM)Scotty-T Wrote:  Remember that just like in the 1911s "most" stove piping issues are cured on the face of the bolt and the obverse side of the extractor claw. not the ramp or chamber. Wink

We reworked the bolt including adjustment to the spring in the early 80s, slightest mods to the bolt and it would fail to extract, the ar7 is easily modded to full auto (run away) though it was only successful with standard long rifle, the stingers and mini-mags stove-piped 1st or 4th round (fauto and semi)

05-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeh with that tiny mag, runaway fits far better then full auto LOL ! Guess it needs a bit of study. One day I'll grab a used one and go from there since there seems to be interest in the things.

"The measure of a man can be taken by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"
05-18-2013, 06:18 PM
I think I had the Charter Arms version. I had bought at least one Ramline banana magazine for it.

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
05-24-2013, 05:29 PM
How about a good weapon for someone who cannot rack a slide back on a glock?

I have 80 year old ladies in my group who can slide the rack back. I am willing to bet that I can show you how without much force or damage to your elbow. Most women do not know the correct way to "rack a slide" and get easily discouraged.

Glassygal, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forums since May 2013.
06-10-2013, 01:09 AM
(04-18-2013 07:44 PM)lynn.hitchens@gmail.com Wrote:  How about a good weapon for someone who cannot rack a slide back on a glock?

I had reconstructive elbow surgery done on my left elbow, and just narrowly missed the same surgery on my right elbow. I just don't have the hand strength currently to do it.

I looking into a shotgun with pistol and chainsaw grip right now, for home defense - but, I def want to purchase a pistol.

Hey Lynn,

Just my .02,...but if you have difficulty pulling back the slide on a semi auto pistol, maybe you can try a technique, I have seen taught to women shooters who had the same problem and it worked most of the time. Now I don't know which is your dominate hand, but for sake of explanation lets say you are right handed.

Try holding the pistol in your right hand, pointing the muzzle down towards the ground out in front of you. Grip the slide with your left hand like you normally would if you were pulling the slide back, however while tightly holding the slide, push forward with your right hand. I know at first read this may not seem like there is any difference in pulling or pushing, but if you actually try it, it should work. At least that has been my experience. Generally It takes less effort to push than it does to pull. If that does not work, I would suggest a good wheel gun.

Hope it helps!

"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win;
There is no possible victory in defense, The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
- John Steinbeck
06-10-2013, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 11:10 AM by Maverick.)
(06-10-2013 01:09 AM)Devil_Dog Wrote:  Hey Lynn,

Just my .02,...but if you have difficulty pulling back the slide on a semi auto pistol, maybe you can try a technique, I have seen taught to women shooters who had the same problem and it worked most of the time. Now I don't know which is your dominate hand, but for sake of explanation lets say you are right handed.

Try holding the pistol in your right hand, pointing the muzzle down towards the ground out in front of you. Grip the slide with your left hand like you normally would if you were pulling the slide back, however while tightly holding the slide, push forward with your right hand. I know at first read this may not seem like there is any difference in pulling or pushing, but if you actually try it, it should work. At least that has been my experience. Generally It takes less effort to push than it does to pull. If that does not work, I would suggest a good wheel gun.

Hope it helps!

Depending on firearm though, pushing forward on the majority won't fully seat the brass preventing the extractor to move forward of the rim adding precious seconds to bring into ready

06-10-2013, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 11:52 AM by Devil_Dog.)
(06-10-2013 11:06 AM)Maverick Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 01:09 AM)Devil_Dog Wrote:  Hey Lynn,

Hope it helps!

Depending on firearm though, pushing forward on the majority won't fully seat the brass preventing the extractor to move forward of the rim adding precious seconds to bring into ready

Hey maverick,

While cannot speak for every semi auto ever made, the pistol that Lynn was talking about was the Glock and based on my experience I have seen this technique used alot with several large and small semi autos and with Glocks, once you get the hang of it, it works. If you do it right it will work, if you don't it won't.

Now with that said, nothing is 100% reliable 100% of the time. If you do anything long enough old Mr. Murphy is going to show up and some point and time just to remind you of that.

Thanks, DevilDog

(02-04-2013 09:17 PM)scpadmin Wrote:  Hey Everyone,

A friend and I are trying to come up with the best weapons for both a prepper (Bug Out Bag) type scenario as well as for everyday lawful concealed carry.

I am by no means a gun expert, so we would like your thoughts on the two scenarios.

We are looking for safety, portability, reliability, and effectiveness.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Ok, so I am a big fan of Glocks, so anyone that will work for him/her would be my suggestion. Also for a bugout bag, your friend might want to look at the MechTech which is not a firearm in and of itself, however if said friend had the right Glock they could go from concealed carry to carbine within a minute or two. Depending on the size of the bug out bag, the
unit can fit either inside or strapped to the outside. The nice thing is you can have two firearms without buying two firearms and have the capability of both concealed carry and easily effective range out to 100 yards and you don't have to worry about buying two different types of magazines. I have had one for several years and it has never let me down.

Hope it helps,
DevilDog

"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win;
There is no possible victory in defense, The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
- John Steinbeck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No Generic Temovate; Temovate Ointment Price What Pharmacies Carry exnazowtu 0 157 09-11-2014 01:18 PM
Last Post: exnazowtu
  you may be lucky and get a powerup or weapon upgrade ailpra80qk 0 112 09-05-2014 07:22 AM
Last Post: ailpra80qk
  New Prepper Novella valentinoswife 1 1,144 07-17-2014 09:30 PM
Last Post: sfqhqgmon
  How did you start your Prepper Plan? lynn.hitchens@gmail.com 3 1,349 05-18-2013 06:10 PM
Last Post: EveryDayPrepper