Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Welcome- Please Introduce Yourself
03-26-2013, 12:58 AM
RE: Welcome- Please Introduce Yourself
Welcome Linsdy!
I look forward to working with you and reading your posts. Welcome aboard!
Brian

Space Coast Preppers.com
Where the Space Coast Preps!
info@SpaceCoastPreppers.com
[Image: facebookprofile100x72.jpg]
Join Us!
http://www.facebook.com/SpaceCoastPreppers
http://www.twitter.com/SpaceCoastPrep
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
K-Light Solar Lantern & Flashlight
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi I'm Karen Lynn from Coastal North Carolina I have a blog called Lil' Suburban Homestead focused on just that...gardening, canning, preparing for the future....and I am happy to be hear with all of you fine folks!

KarenLynn@LilSuburbanHomestead, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
Blogger@Lil' Suburban Homestead since 2010
03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
(03-26-2013 12:48 PM)KarenLynn@LilSuburbanHomestead Wrote:  Hi I'm Karen Lynn from Coastal North Carolina I have a blog called Lil' Suburban Homestead focused on just that...gardening, canning, preparing for the future....and I am happy to be hear with all of you fine folks!

Hi KarenLynn and welcome to SCP!

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
03-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Hi Lindsy - welcome! I'm looking forward to "conversing" here with you! Many of us find that one of us starts to prep before everyone else in the family is on board. Two big helps -- even FEMA suggests we prep now. Second - this is Florida -- in 2005 we were hit with two back to back hurricanes that destroyed many many homes in Palm Bay -- although we usually avoid them, it happens! Even if it is not destructive, power is often out due to storms so prepping is a wise choice. For several months after those storms, even Wal Mart could not get restocked easily on many items so having a stockpile of certain things is not unwarrented! Being a stay at home mom is great -- I have four sons I stayed home with until my husband was disabled - then he took over and I went back to work. It made us feel good that we raised them! That's great that you already can and freeze -- now on to dehydrating and a garden -- we did great up North with a garden and have relearned much here in Florida due to a different climate. You and I share many similar interests -- I'm here in West Melbourne so we will have to meet up at some point too!
Bonnie (valentinoswife)

(03-25-2013 09:51 PM)lynn.hitchens@gmail.com Wrote:  Hi!

Just joined the site tonight, though I've been following on Facebook since we moved to the Space Coast (Palm Bay) in February of this year.

My name is Lindsy, I'm 28 and (very luckily) a Stay at Home Mom - with one child, who turns five in June.

How long have you been prepping?
- Officially, since November of 2012. After the last election. I just lost all hope that our country was going to come back from where it's been headed. I started reading about the economy more in depth (I'm a reader and researcher for hobby) and had a long conversation with my sister who lives in Georgia about how fragile our whole system really is. She confessed to me that her and her husband had been "prepping", explained it to me - and then made her case for why I needed to be as well. Let's just say it did not take much convincing.

How far along are you in your preps?
- Not terribly far, to be honest. My husband is not 100% on board with me. This scares the pants off of me, he says he doesn't want to live if things get that bad. I say I will do ANYTHING to keep my family safe. He thinks it's a phase for me. OR that I'm a crazy Christian. Either way, he stays out of my way and off my case about prepping, for the most part. I have a fair amount of water and canned goods stocked up. Paper goods too. Working on dried foods. I've been saving large containers because I want to start using mylar bags. What I'm not able to stock up, I'm teaching myself to make. I can and freeze foods (which I have been doing since I was a small child - we grew up very poor in rural Michigan) and can fish, and am learning to hunt and track. I'm having my brother in law teach me how to shoot, or rather shoot better, when he is around. I'm planning on spending a few weeks in Michigan this summer with my son, teaching him what I can about survival. So, I'm pretty much winging it.

Where are your interests?
- A better question would be, what ARE NOT my interests? I'm interested in EVERYTHING. I'm a voracious reader. A very fast learner. Right now I'm really into my gardening because of Spring. I'm hoping to find the time to teach myself to sew this summer. Bible study, cooking, baking, shooting, cleaning, all things homemaking, dresses and makeup, coffee, wine, long distance running, weight lifting, small dogs (seriously, who doesn't love dogs so tiny they fit in your purse?), homeschooling, politics, Xbox, photography... I think you get the idea.

What areas are you strong in or weaker in?
- My strength would most likely be in food preservation and preparation - also teaching others and organizing. My weaknesses would probably be mechanical type things - my knowledge of small engines and systems is pretty limited, but I love to take things apart and learn about them. Also, self defense. (Which I'm currently working on, I do distance running twice a week, I'm currently up to 8 miles. I also do weightlifting 3 times a week. I've lost nearly 60 pounds. )

What do you hope to get from this group?
- Support. I don't have it here at home. I can't see how my son and I could survive for any length of time without the strength of numbers that like minded people can provide. Knowledge. ALL knowledge is worth having. Perhaps an outlet for my ideas/musings/writings on a myriad of subjects, where I won't be labeled as crazy. Also, I am of the mind that keeping what I know about survival to myself is selfish. If I can help someone learn something, that would be amazing!

Would you like to be involved in the management of the group?
-Most definitely, if there is a need and if I can be of help.

Thanks for reading my novel!

-Lindsy

valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping Sip of Sustainability and Me
03-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi KarneLynn! I already follow your blog so welcome!
Bonnie(valentinoswife)
(03-26-2013 12:48 PM)KarenLynn@LilSuburbanHomestead Wrote:  Hi I'm Karen Lynn from Coastal North Carolina I have a blog called Lil' Suburban Homestead focused on just that...gardening, canning, preparing for the future....and I am happy to be hear with all of you fine folks!

valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping Sip of Sustainability and Me
03-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks Bonnie I am beyond flattered! Smile I know I didn't share much in my introduction letter but I am very excited about being here we do not have the same exact weather concerns as Florida but being that I am on the coast in NC we have to deal with hurricane season and power outages we are familiar with all of those. I am going to share some of my posts about hurricane season here for those that are new to preparing for disaster!

One of my reasons for being here is to ramp up my preps it is an area where while I feel like we are much stronger than the average person we could improve upon!

Very glad to get to know you all!

(03-27-2013 07:02 AM)valentinoswife Wrote:  Hi KarneLynn! I already follow your blog so welcome!
Bonnie(valentinoswife)

KarenLynn@LilSuburbanHomestead, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
04-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi, I am Etheena. I am owned by two 3 year old, lol. I am very new to prepping. My whole reason for prepping is for two things 1) I believe Mother Nature is going to do a "cleansing" so to speak, to get rid of the items that are polluting her and 2) Our national debit is going to get called in. My interests right now are urban homesteading and security.

Etheena, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Apr 2013.
04-08-2013, 12:41 AM
(04-07-2013 02:39 PM)Etheena Wrote:  Hi, I am Etheena. I am owned by two 3 year old, lol. I am very new to prepping. My whole reason for prepping is for two things 1) I believe Mother Nature is going to do a "cleansing" so to speak, to get rid of the items that are polluting her and 2) Our national debit is going to get called in. My interests right now are urban homesteading and security.

Welcome to SCP Etheena!

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
04-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Hi Etheena nice to meet you! My kids are much older 15 and 21 but I still feel a strong responsibility to teach them about prepping and to be ready for a bug out situation....

Glad you are here!

04-24-2013, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 07:19 AM by Scotty-T.)
Hello, I am Scotty. Retired and sort of prepping. Single, ex Military and 40 years in Satellite Communications. Expertise in Ham Radio, Radio Communications. Firearms has been a lifelong hobby, reloading, accurazing, repair and refurbish. I also help moderate a 20,000 member forum similar to this one that is run out of Florida. Willing to help with this forum. Always willing to share knowledge and learn new things. Not into hiding and secrecy, just do what I do in plain sight etc. Some Law Enforcement Experience with the old GFC. I am getting interested in Archery over firearms right now. Its not that difficult. Can weld, and make or fix things. Have my own torches and a small shop. Willing to help however I can. Just ask. This got too long in a hurry, wow ! Ok ask away if I can help or just feed your curiosity. Idea

"The measure of a man can be taken by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"