Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alternative Tools for Cutting Wood
08-11-2013, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 09:37 AM by ZorrosBladeZ.)
Alternative Tools for Cutting Wood
I have been asked about cutting tools for cutting wood on the trail . And I hear many different answers as to use an Axe , Machete or even a bow saw. And after doing some reading I am finding that it really depends on the environment your in. And this will dictate which cutting tool works best and your physical ability to use the tools. From what I am finding It seems many of the Bush-crafter's are adapting the 7 to 10 inch folding saws as a good tool to take on the challenges. I have heard of brand such ar Silky, Corona ,Gerber, Fiskar, Bahco, The majority of them costing around $20 bucks. Even saw a $4 saw from dollar general . In saying this what is every ones thoughts on folding Pruning Saws as a back pack alternative for cutting wood on the trail or for a prepper tool?

ZorrosBladeZ, Proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
RE: Alternative Tools for Cutting Wood
As a option...

As a backup to my folding bow saw I carry 2 swedish steel band saw blades cut in 2 1/2ft lengths one is 4tpi and the other 6tpi the 4tpi works better on pitchy wood. I get my blades from a saw blade sharpening shop, the blades have been pulled off line but still very sharp and usable, they are flat and easily packable the cost was $8 - I drilled 3 holes in each end 1/2" apart so I can fasten to handles made out in the field

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
08-13-2013, 06:20 AM
This is interesting Maverick. Do you have any pictures of this, and with the handles made in the field? Would you be interested in writing a brief post about this for the blog?

(08-12-2013 08:13 PM)Maverick Wrote:  As a option...

As a backup to my folding bow saw I carry 2 swedish steel band saw blades cut in 2 1/2ft lengths one is 4tpi and the other 6tpi the 4tpi works better on pitchy wood. I get my blades from a saw blade sharpening shop, the blades have been pulled off line but still very sharp and usable, they are flat and easily packable the cost was $8 - I drilled 3 holes in each end 1/2" apart so I can fasten to handles made out in the field

Space Coast Preppers.com
Where the Space Coast Preps!
info@SpaceCoastPreppers.com
[Image: facebookprofile100x72.jpg]
Join Us!
http://www.facebook.com/SpaceCoastPreppers
http://www.twitter.com/SpaceCoastPrep
08-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Music RE: Alternative Tools for Cutting Wood
(08-13-2013 06:20 AM)scpadmin Wrote:  This is interesting Maverick. Do you have any pictures of this, and with the handles made in the field? Would you be interested in writing a brief post about this for the blog?

When I get back I certainly will

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
08-13-2013, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 03:27 PM by ZorrosBladeZ.)
Video RE: Alternative Tools for Cutting Wood
(08-13-2013 06:20 AM)scpadmin Wrote:  This is interesting Maverick. Do you have any pictures of this, and with the handles made in the field? Would you be interested in writing a brief post about this for the blog?

(08-12-2013 08:13 PM)Maverick Wrote:  As a option...

I found this Youtube video that pretty good it does go through the steps to make a good bow saw in the field as your describing Maverick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqwRTZZr90A

08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
The size of the branches these smaller saws cut are just as quickly hacked off with a machete, aren't they?

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
08-18-2013, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2013 04:32 PM by ZorrosBladeZ.)
(08-18-2013 12:21 PM)EveryDayPrepper Wrote:  The size of the branches these smaller saws cut are just as quickly hacked off with a machete, aren't they?

I have to agree your right So in this case a machete would be a good choice. But for precision cuts i can see a saw doing the work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Diprosone Where To Purchase. Alternative Diprosone Cheap Fast Free Consultation exnazowtu 0 184 09-25-2014 04:02 PM
Last Post: exnazowtu
  Order Eutirox Lp Canadian Pharmacy; Low Price Eutirox Alternative elogidda 0 155 09-25-2014 02:23 PM
Last Post: elogidda
  Tablets Celestoderm Alternative Fast Delivery; Best Buy Celestoderm In Internet With efuzilogk 0 187 09-25-2014 06:36 AM
Last Post: efuzilogk
  Order Now Estrace-cream For Sale; Want Secure Best Price Estrofem Alternative idhelnowk 0 137 09-25-2014 06:36 AM
Last Post: idhelnowk
  Co-amoxiclav Similar; Alternative With Discount Co-amoxiclav Order No Script efuzilogk 0 138 09-25-2014 06:34 AM
  Buy Cheap Ranitidine Ds Prescript. Worldwide Aran-lich Mail Order Alternative exnazowtu 0 132 09-25-2014 04:29 AM
  Buying Alternative Sumycin Without A Prescription; Florida Sumycin Price No Prescrip idhelnowk 0 198 09-25-2014 01:48 AM
Last Post: idhelnowk
  Find Where Can I Buy Neorecormon Drugs - Online Neorecormon Alternative Cheap Price exnazowtu 0 177 09-25-2014 01:46 AM
  Best Buy Domperidone Discount Brand Name Tabs, Acheter Online Alternative Licensed P efuzilogk 0 161 09-25-2014 01:15 AM
  Want Colcrys Order Cheap Price, Alternative Colcrys Get Now Secure Website elogidda 0 121 09-24-2014 10:55 PM
Last Post: elogidda