Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Hiking out (bug out) suggestions
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 04:56 PM by Maverick.)
Hiking out (bug out) suggestions
This may be Old hat to some but easily forgotten about or not thought about to folks just starting out.

A little background;
A good number of people are unfamiliar with long term stay in warm humid climates and very cold climates. on 5 separate occasions we have ran 4 short and 1 long term mission in Africa, I have spent 3.5 years in South America and 1 year in South Korea, one of my longest stays was in the jungle for 89days in SA strictly relying on what we had on hand, we found out very quickly what worked and didn't.

a few suggestions; 'Use suspenders' along with the belt, depending on the climate a person can swell or lose weight quickly causing the pant waist to get too tight or too lose, the relying on belt only will cause back and abdominal pain by not allowing expansion of the waist and if you lose weight tightening the belt is the worse thing you can do, using a good quality suspender will also help reduce fatigue.

An old saying "cotton kills" this rings so very true, I've been involved in a couple of rescue missions, on one of them involving day hikers caught in a winter snow storm, wearing cotton pants shirt and socks killed one of the hiker, he had the right equipment except for clothing.

Around the internet I have rid what folks have in them B.O.B bags but very little mentioning of clothing, B.O.B should NEVER be without wool, G.I. Korea surplus wool clothing is cheap, always get 1 size larger for expansion. Unlike cotton wool holds heat and drys faster when wet.

Stay away from thick hard leather boot if you chose to use leather, the salt from the body will harden the leather like sand paper and possibly causing blisters even if the boot is broke in and harder to dry, get a good quality soft leather hiking or hunting boot, if the boot is wet and you need to dry it but cant build a fire (not just for leather), put rice or baking soda or super dry moss in a women's nylon stocking, put a hand warmer inside the toe of the boot and put the stocking filled with rice half way between the toe and heel, cover the top of the boot leaving about an eighth opening, this should help remove or reduce the moisture in the boot.

Cold or hot put on women's sheer stockings, it will reduce fatigue and help keep legs warm and help repel certain insects, word of warning though, don't tell your city folk friends they wouldn't understand trust me on this Wink I never go hunting or hiking without em! I used em in Africa.

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
RE: Hiking out (bug out) suggestions
Good to know!!!! I didn't know that about cotton material!

Etheena, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Apr 2013.
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
(04-07-2013 02:48 PM)Etheena Wrote:  Good to know!!!! I didn't know that about cotton material!

To express my point further on the subject of cotton; http://outbounddan.hubpages.com/hub/Why-...l-Kill-You

We who are ready will survive for we are mentally equipped to do so
Space Coast Preppers Forum Moderator
04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I have never heard that expression coming from an active family I know all hikers should have good comfortable wool socks but I will make sure to review our change of clothes in our bug out bags!

Thanks!

An old saying "cotton kills" this rings so very true, I've been involved in a couple of rescue missions, on one of them involving day hikers caught in a winter snow storm, wearing cotton pants shirt and socks killed one of the hiker, he had the right equipment except for clothing.

Around the internet I have rid what folks have in them B.O.B bags but very little mentioning of clothing, B.O.B should NEVER be without wool, G.I. Korea surplus wool clothing is cheap, always get 1 size larger for expansion. Unlike cotton wool holds heat and drys faster when wet.

Stay away from thick hard leather boot if you chose to use leather, the salt from the body will harden the leather like sand paper and possibly causing blisters even if the boot is broke in and harder to dry, get a good quality soft leather hiking or hunting boot, if the boot is wet and you need to dry it but cant build a fire (not just for leather), put rice or baking soda or super dry moss in a women's nylon stocking, put a hand warmer inside the toe of the boot and put the stocking filled with rice half way between the toe and heel, cover the top of the boot leaving about an eighth opening, this should help remove or reduce the moisture in the boot.

Cold or hot put on women's sheer stockings, it will reduce fatigue and help keep legs warm and help repel certain insects, word of warning though, don't tell your city folk friends they wouldn't understand trust me on this Wink I never go hunting or hiking without em! I used em in Africa.
[/quote]

KarenLynn@LilSuburbanHomestead, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
Blogger@Lil' Suburban Homestead since 2010
08-15-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 08:10 PM by ZorrosBladeZ.)
Spending most of my life in tropical climates I would have never thought about keep wool clothing in my BOB but now I will be adding that to mine Thanks for the valuable info !! And I know it will save my life in the near future !!

ZorrosBladeZ, Proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
08-18-2013, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2013 12:45 PM by EveryDayPrepper.)
I recently tried a 100% polyester long-sleeve shirt and found it much more breathable and cool than the same in 100% cotton. It is now my favorite shirt for hotter months.

Here is one made of bamboo fabric, but not the one I bought...
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/sc...x?a=986376

Here is the one I bought...
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1332948
Only complaints are the bright-colored logos, the solid black panels, and the somewhat itchy seams.

EveryDayPrepper, proud to be a member of Space Coast Prepper Forum since Mar 2013.
10-25-2013, 08:41 AM
+1 on the sheers! Ive used them while hunting for over
35+ years, they do keep certain bugs away, breathe well. I learned about
them from an S/F operator of the Vietnam era. Most will laugh until
they try them for themselves.
Joe
Find all posts by this user